Monday, August 17, 2009

7 years 7 lessons

September 2nd is a very important anniversary for me. No, its not my wedding anniversary or even the day I became a Christian, but its a very important day.
As of September 2nd....I will have lived here in the great province of Ontario for 7 years. *deep sigh* Yep, I know its hard to believe coz its hard for me to even think about it. Don't get me wrong I love living here, and to be honest this past year was the first year I didn't feel home sick everyday.
Two very different group of friends have made living here bearable. There have been a few lessons I've learned....the HARD way while living here, actually there is seven. Yep, you got it! I learn something new each year. I figure after living here for 20+ years....if I make it that long I will write an instruction manual for southerns moving north.

Year 1 When you are out of diapers and there is a blizzard outside...you still have to leave your fear behind get in your car and drive to Wal Mart. Driving in the snow is NOT the same as driving through a thunder storm.

Year 2 Always keep a 1/2 to a full tank of gas! The condensation in your tank freezes and will leave you stranded. Better yet keep a 4-6 pk of gas de-icer in your car.

Year 3 You can never ever have too many pairs of mittens, your children lose them, you drive off with then on your roof, they get wet and nasty. Just keep a small trunk on them next to your back door.

Year 4 It actually gets cold enough to freeze your car battery, keep jumper cables on hand.

Year 5 If you have children you must have a pair of snow pants coz they don't care how cold it is...they will skate outside until their feet have frost bite.

Year 6 Dusty hay has to be watered down, during the winter...its best to just fill a water bucket up in the barn instead of trying to use the outside water speckit.

Year 7 And by far my favorite! When your car door freezes open on shut...your best friends become an extension cord and a hair dryer.

There are a few other lessons I've learen butI will save them for another day.

4 comments:

Vicki said...

Ahhh ... cute! You need to post something about this heat wave we're having though just so that your southern family and friends don't think we're up to our necks in snow in August!!

Williams Family Blog said...

Love the list. Should have published it for our exchange partners before the exchange. Though they will probably be able to write their own list, I'm sure.
Happy 7 years in Ontario.

Rhonda said...

Let's celebrate!!! Seven years ago our beautiful Miss Alabama came to Canada and we are all so much better for having her in our lives. Thank you to the state of Alabama for sharing your finest treasure with us.

Brandy said...

i love the list.....U crack me up girl!!!!!!!!!! So glad to have u in the great white north!!! Love ya !!!!!!!!!